Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels: Domestic
The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels credential allows its holder to act as Operator of an uninspected vessel of less than 100 GRT, equipped with propulsion machinery of any type, carrying six or fewer passengers. An OUPV Near-Coastal limits the holder to service on domestic, near-coastal waters not more than 100 miles offshore, the Great Lakes and all inland waters. Endorsements issued for inland waters include all inland waters except the Great Lakes. Endoresements may be issued for and restricted to a particular area.
Service Requirements for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels:
- OUPV Near-Coastal: One year of experience in the operation of vessels, including at least 3 months of service on vessels operating on ocean or near-coastal waters.
- OUPV Great Lakes and Inland: One year of service on Great Lakes or inland waters including at least 3 months of service operating vessels on Great Lakes waters.
- OUPV Inland: One year of service on vessels.
- Limited OUPV: This endorsement may be issued to an applicant to be employed by organizations such as formal camps, yacht clubs, educational institution, and marinas. This endorsement will be limited to the specific activity and the locality of the camp, yacht club, or marina. The applicant must have 3 months service in the operation of the type of vessel for which the endorsement is requested; must have completed a safety-boating course approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators or those public education courses conducted by the US Power Squadron or the American National Red Cross or a Coast Guard-approved course. The applicant must pass an examination appropriate for the activity to be conducted and the route authorized.
- An applicant for an officer endorsement as OUPV who speaks Spanish, but not English, may be issued an officer endorsement restricted to the navigable waters of the United States in the vicinity of Puerto Rico.
The OUPV is the one deck license which can be issued to a non-citizen.
Examination and Assessments:
The examination for the OUPV is described in the Deck Examination Guide Section 220.127.116.11.
(Reference 46 CFR 11.467)
NMC Checklist for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels
NMC Checklist for Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels